Pre-Operative and Post-Operative Plastic Surgery Patient Instructions
Download Pre-Operative Instructions (PDF)
The following instructions should be followed closely except when overruled by specific procedural instructions.
During your consultation, you will meet with our providers who will educate and counsel you on your best treatment options for your concerns. You will be asked about your medical conditions, what medications you are taking, any drug allergies, tobacco, alcohol, and drug use. It is very important that you are open and honest with your providers during your consultation. Photos will be taken during your consultation to have for your medical record.
Prior to surgery you may be asked to get a medical clearance from your primary care physician. You may need to get blood work and or an EKG prior to surgery. You may also be asked to stop certain medications prior to surgery to minimize your risk of complications.
If you are taking any medications on the following list, they should be discontinued 2 weeks prior to surgery and only acetaminophen products, such as Tylenol, should be taken for pain. All other medications – prescriptions, over-the-counter and herbal – that you are currently taking must be specifically cleared by Dr. Johnson prior to surgery. It is absolutely necessary that all of your current medications be specifically cleared by Dr. Johnson and the nursing staff.
All procedures done with anesthesia require that you have someone to drive you to and from your surgery and to stay with you for at least the first 24 hours after your surgery. If you are experiencing shortness of breath, chest pain, or unusual heart beats, seek medical attention immediately. You may require hospitalization and additional treatment.
- Pre-operative Instructions General
- Medications to Avoid Before Surgery
- Body Mass Index Surgery Restrictions & FAQs
Post Operative Instructions
There may be information here that contradicts information on the general Post-Operative Instructions sheet. Any time this occurs, follow these procedure specific instructions. If you have any questions, please call the office at (413) 731-7877.
The results of most surgeries are seen immediately following the procedure, although initial results will be somewhat obscured by swelling and bruising. You will be dramatically improved by appearance and feel.
The practice of medicine and surgery is not an exact science. Good results are expected, but there is no guarantee. In most instances expectations are met with one single surgical procedure, however, additional surgery may be necessary if expectations are not met.
It is very important that you follow our post-operative instructions in order to achieve surgical success. You want to limit your activity to allow proper healing of your incisions. Excessive force, swelling, abrasion, or increased motion to the incisions can lead to healing complications.
Download Post-Operative Instructions (PDF)
- Abdominoplasty/Panniculectomy Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Body Lift Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Breast Reconstruction Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Breast Implants (Augmentation Mammoplasty) Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy) Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Breast Reduction Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Ear Surgery (Otoplasty) Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Face lift Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Gynecomastia Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Labiaplasty Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Liposuction Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Mastectomy Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Neck Lift Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Nose Job (Rhinoplasty) Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Scar Revision Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Skin Lesion Excision/Removal Post-Operative Care Instructions
- Thigh Lift Post-Operative Care Instructions